Given that Wonderbook includes extended discussion of my own settings, here are some useful links to discussion of settings created by other authors. This web extra will be expanded and enhanced by early 2014.
- Crooked Timber on China Mieville’s novel Iron Council
- Kameron Hurley’s posts on various aspects of her worldbuilding, general and specific:
- Although perhaps too comprehensive, this compilation of questions does give you an interesting checklist that may catch gaps important to your storytelling.
- N.K. Jemisin on worldbuilding, with additional links to other posts by her on the subject.
- In this long Scriptorium piece, I discuss aspects of Angela Carter’s work that include comments on setting.
- Matthew Cheney raises interesting questions about the relationship between reality and fantasy in this essay.